Saturday, August 1, 2009

family... namely, mine

Ok, so I was laying in bed and thinking about my life and my family, when I realized I had to write it down... Because surely what I feel is something they would want to know.

I am truly one of the luckiest people in the world. I have the most accepting and loving family. My mom and dad are... quirky... enough that being around them is fun. Not a chore and something that I look forward to whenever we have a family thing planned. I have 2 beautiful sisters that have ALWAYS been there, even when I was being the snottiest teenager you could imagine. Whenever I think of my oldest sister Kelly... Kelly the smelly belly... yes I just put her most hated nick name out there for anyone to see... feel free to call her that, I am sure she won't mind, anyways... whenever I think of her, I think about all the mums and flowers that she made sure I got over the years during high school when that stuff matters so much. She KNEW... really knew how much it meant to me, and so when I think of her, that is always there. The beautiful and hidden sweetness that is behind everything else. Then there is my sister Stacy... gruff, tough and my secret role model. She once pointed out how accident prone I am, and that reminded me that every time I hurt myself she had some beautiful flowers to give me. I still miss the bromeiliad or however it is spelled, that she gave me when I had my back surgery. I always want to buy another one, but I never do... It wouldn't be the same. Truly I have the most sentimental family. We think we are so tough, but really we love to cry. you can't get us together without us actively trying to get someone to cry with happiness. I had that distinction with a poem for Stacy for her coming baby. My newest nephew. I already have two nephews that I love more than anything. And really they are the funniest and sweetest, and possibly the most alien people. I can't wrap my head around boys and the stuff they do. But boy I am proud of them. So how can I not welcome my newest nephew as much? I have never met this nephew, but already I love him. I want to hold him and love him, and most importantly, welcome him into this crazy, lovable, and truly amazing family that he is being born into. You already have a dozen people in your corner, ready to beat up the kids that make you cry. Ready to support you in every crazy scheme that you come up with (cause you will... you have Duval genes) Truly, I have the best family in the world.





Listen to the Mustn'ts

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me--
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.


-Shel Silverstein

No comments: